This is a draft of page 1 of Prose Home Movie.

. . .

It began in Brixton, my new video game . . . A giant clock ticking to midnight projected on the stage and they cheered the chimes and I shook a hand but a faceless with dreadlocks had sold me a dud so dancing was difficult. I shuffled my feet though. I moved my arms in time to the circular motion of the laserbeam and I was looking at the ass of a woman in hotpants and welding goggles and remember Lydon’s voice saying burn Hollywood burn, burn Hollywood burn. 

. . .

Going thru the crowd I got a poke on the shoulder and Alison said: Hey Peppy, I didn’t know you were into Megadog. Yeah I said and explained how my mate was gonna get a ticket but . . . Then she asked: You moved out of 10 Abbey Rise now? Again I said yes and when I think of Alison I see her dad Jack who was about 70 and used to moan at Mark and me for kicking a football against the side of 7 Abbey and when I was 9 or 10 he stood at his back gate and another kid was with me in the alleyway while Jack talked for time about his life but I can’t remember what he said. All I see is his nose. The red freckled bridge had a slit-like hole, which I didn’t know what it was until I asked Soup.

. . .

For most of the morning I hid in the dark looking at psychedelic shapes moving like blobs of oil on the wall. This was the chill-out room. Mixmaster Morris played on the turntables probably ambient music like The Orb and I spoke with a man who rolled and gave us a drag or two. About 5am I gave a ten pound note to a black guy who gave me a pill that produced sensations in my body but by then I was on Brixton tube platform. 

. . .